Bernstein confirmed as English FA chairman
London: David Bernstein was officially confirmed as the new chairman of the English Football Association.
Bernstein, formerly chairman of Manchester City, won a unanimous vote by the FA board in December to become the permanent successor to Lord Triesman.
That vote was approved by the FA Council on Tuesday and the 67-year-old is now able to begin the job of dragging the English game`s governing body out of a period of strife.
Bernstein admits he is keen to bring stability to an organisation rocked by Triesman`s departure following his unproved allegations of corruption involving Russia and Spain during the recent bidding battle to stage the 2018 World Cup.
Speaking to the council, Bernstein said: "Over the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of listening.
"I have met many people representing all areas of football in this country to hear their thoughts and ideas on the current issues facing the game. Their input has been invaluable.”
"By bringing stability to the top of our organisation, I hope to create an environment within which all the positive work that we do is better understood and appreciated."
Bernstein also promised to improve relationships with the game`s global decision-makers.
One of the reasons for England`s failed attempt to host the 2018 World Cup was the bid team`s lack of influence within FIFA.
"There are many lessons to be learned from the events of last year," Bernstein said. "I want to build stronger and more effective relationships with the various international football bodies.”
"Outside the football family we must increase the effectiveness of our relationships whether it be with other sporting bodies, the government and broader stakeholders."
Bernstein, currently chairman of Wembley and director of a number of large clothing retailers, was the surprise nomination by the FA board last month.
Former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein had been viewed as the front-runner but the nominations committee, headed by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, chose Bernstein, with the main difference being his company boardroom experience.
A chartered accountant, he was Manchester City chairman for five years, including the time they secured the lease for new stadium at Eastlands, and he has been Wembley chairman since 2008.
Selecting Fabio Capello`s successor as England coach - the Italian has stated he will move on after the Euro 2012 finals in 18 months` time - heads his list of tasks.
Another major job will be to drive forward work on the national football centre at Burton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in