Blackburn striker Campbell arrested in match-fixing probe
London: Former English Premier League striker DJ Campbell has been arrested as part of a match-fixing investigation, his club Blackburn Rovers said on Monday.
"Following reports in today`s national media, Blackburn Rovers can confirm that striker DJ Campbell has been arrested," the Championship (second division) club said in a statement.
"The club will be making no further comment on what is now an ongoing legal matter."
The National Crime Agency (NCA) said on Sunday it had launched a second probe into alleged match-fixing in English soccer after a Sunday newspaper claimed a player told an undercover reporter he could guarantee certain events in a Championship match.
The NCA confirmed on Sunday that six people had been arrested following the Sun on Sunday investigation.
Striker Campbell, 32, played for Blackpool and Queen`s Park Rangers in the Premier League before joining Blackburn in July.
The Sun on Sunday said it had evidence of a player saying he arranged a booking in a recent Championship match in which another received a 30,000 pounds payment for getting a yellow card.
The same player allegedly boasted he could also "rig" Premier League games.
In a separate match-fixing investigation, four people have been charged, including two players from an English sixth tier semi-professional team, in connection with an alleged international illegal betting syndicate.
Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22 and from Whitehawk FC in Brighton, along with Chann Sankaran, a 33-year-old Singapore national, and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, a 43-year-old with dual UK and Singapore nationality, were charged with conspiracy to defraud contrary to common law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi