Brazil guarantee Maracana completion for FIFA World Cup 2014
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s 2014 World Cup organising committee has guaranteed that the Maracana Stadium here will be ready in time to host the FIFA Confederations Cup in June.
The iconic venue has already had its playing surface laid but is still awaiting the installation of its fibre-glass roof. Originally earmarked to be ready by December last year, the stadium has already had its completion postponed thrice.
Last month, FIFA said the latest deadline shift to April 27 would be final.
Speaking after a meeting with FIFA delegates in Rio Saturday, organising committee integration manager Tiago Paes guaranteed the stadium would be ready to host Brazil`s friendly against England June 2.
"If we needed to change five percent of the planned works, we would have concerns. But that is not the case with the Maracana. Naturally some problems have come up but we are here to make sure they are sorted out quickly," Paes said.
The Maracana Stadium will host both the Confederations Cup final June 30 and the World Cup final July 13 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt