Brazil guarantee Maracana completion for FIFA World Cup 2014
Rio de Janeiro: Brazil`s 2014 World Cup organising committee has guaranteed that the Maracana Stadium here will be ready in time to host the FIFA Confederations Cup in June.
The iconic venue has already had its playing surface laid but is still awaiting the installation of its fibre-glass roof. Originally earmarked to be ready by December last year, the stadium has already had its completion postponed thrice.
Last month, FIFA said the latest deadline shift to April 27 would be final.
Speaking after a meeting with FIFA delegates in Rio Saturday, organising committee integration manager Tiago Paes guaranteed the stadium would be ready to host Brazil`s friendly against England June 2.
"If we needed to change five percent of the planned works, we would have concerns. But that is not the case with the Maracana. Naturally some problems have come up but we are here to make sure they are sorted out quickly," Paes said.
The Maracana Stadium will host both the Confederations Cup final June 30 and the World Cup final July 13 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming