Brazil`s Mineirao stadium ready for 2014 FIFA World Cup
Belo Horzionte: After almost three years of re-construction, Belo Horizonte`s majestic Mineirao stadium, a venue for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, has finally reopened to the public.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff inaugurated the stadium Friday. The Mineirao is the second stadium to be reopened in Brazil after Fortaleza`s Arena Castelao, reports Xinhua.
The Mineirao will be hosting matches at both the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.
The stadium has been closed since June 6, 2010, and America-MG`s smaller Estadio Independencia has been forced to host matches for first division club`s Atletico-MG and Cruzeiro.
The first match to be played at the Mineirao will be between Atletico and Cruzeiro, Feb 3 in the Minas Geriais state championship.
The pitch has been lowered by three to four meters to improve visibility and 80 VIP suites have been constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Building a sports culture crucial to winning medals at Olympics: Pullela Gopichand
- Maharashtra, Haryana Assemblies unanimously ratify GST Bill
- India to grow at 7.6% in FY'17, GST to boost trade, investment: RBI
- South Africa hold 372-run lead over New Zealand despite top order collapse in second innings
- Government defers mega spectrum auction by 2 days to Oct 1