Brazil`s Mineirao stadium ready for 2014 FIFA World Cup
Belo Horzionte: After almost three years of re-construction, Belo Horizonte`s majestic Mineirao stadium, a venue for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, has finally reopened to the public.
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff inaugurated the stadium Friday. The Mineirao is the second stadium to be reopened in Brazil after Fortaleza`s Arena Castelao, reports Xinhua.
The Mineirao will be hosting matches at both the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.
The stadium has been closed since June 6, 2010, and America-MG`s smaller Estadio Independencia has been forced to host matches for first division club`s Atletico-MG and Cruzeiro.
The first match to be played at the Mineirao will be between Atletico and Cruzeiro, Feb 3 in the Minas Geriais state championship.
The pitch has been lowered by three to four meters to improve visibility and 80 VIP suites have been constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report