Brazil to cede 2015 Copa America to Chile
Rio de Janeiro: Jose Maria Marin, the new president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), is expected to hand the 2015 Copa America to Chile.
Busy and behind schedule on many projects for the 2014 football World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil plans to grant the right to host the tournament to Chile, Xinhua reported.
Chile has not hosted the Copa America since 1991.
The event, which takes place every four years, began in Argentina in 1987. The right to host the tournament is based upon an alphabetical rotation among the list of countries in the Americas.
Chile follows Brazil on the list of countries. For this reason Chile would earn the right to host the Copa America if Brazil were to pass.
CBF`s former president Ricardo Teixeira remained firm that Brazil would indeed host the 2015 Copa America, too proud to give up the opportunity to host the prestigious event.
However, with his recent dismissal due to charges of corruption, the dialogue has changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read