Brazil to cede 2015 Copa America to Chile
Rio de Janeiro: Jose Maria Marin, the new president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), is expected to hand the 2015 Copa America to Chile.
Busy and behind schedule on many projects for the 2014 football World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil plans to grant the right to host the tournament to Chile, Xinhua reported.
Chile has not hosted the Copa America since 1991.
The event, which takes place every four years, began in Argentina in 1987. The right to host the tournament is based upon an alphabetical rotation among the list of countries in the Americas.
Chile follows Brazil on the list of countries. For this reason Chile would earn the right to host the Copa America if Brazil were to pass.
CBF`s former president Ricardo Teixeira remained firm that Brazil would indeed host the 2015 Copa America, too proud to give up the opportunity to host the prestigious event.
However, with his recent dismissal due to charges of corruption, the dialogue has changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive