Brazil to cede 2015 Copa America to Chile
Rio de Janeiro: Jose Maria Marin, the new president of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), is expected to hand the 2015 Copa America to Chile.
Busy and behind schedule on many projects for the 2014 football World Cup and the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil plans to grant the right to host the tournament to Chile, Xinhua reported.
Chile has not hosted the Copa America since 1991.
The event, which takes place every four years, began in Argentina in 1987. The right to host the tournament is based upon an alphabetical rotation among the list of countries in the Americas.
Chile follows Brazil on the list of countries. For this reason Chile would earn the right to host the Copa America if Brazil were to pass.
CBF`s former president Ricardo Teixeira remained firm that Brazil would indeed host the 2015 Copa America, too proud to give up the opportunity to host the prestigious event.
However, with his recent dismissal due to charges of corruption, the dialogue has changed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?