Brazilian footballers threaten strike
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian footballers have threatened to go on strike if their governing body does not agree to change the 2014 calendar.
The Fenapaf players` union on Tuesday said it would ask its members to boycott the final two rounds of the season to protest against the crowded draw.
"I am preparing and will later forward the proposal to all of the players. They have to have consciousness and courage. If not, nothing will change. We can`t allow this to continue," Fenapaf president Alfredo Sampaio said.
Brazil`s fixturing has long been criticised by players, coaches and media for both its duration and quantity of matches. The season lasts for more than 10 months a year to accommodate state championships, national league, Brazil Cup and continental tournaments. In contrast, most European seasons last nine months.
Next year`s fixture list is even more crammed to accommodate the World Cup which will halt all local competitions from early June to mid July.
"If the calendar is already a joke, 2014 is absurd and everyone knows it," Sampaio said.
The Brazilian Football Confederation declined to comment.
Local media reported that at least 70 players including former Arsenal captain Gilberto Silva, ex-AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato and former Real Madrid forward Julio Baptista had signed a petition demanding change. Critics have also called for the season to replicate the European calendar, providing a break in the Brazilian winter months of June and July, instead of summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video