Brazilian president backs Selecao for sixth World Cup title
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff cheered the selection of the national team to compete in the upcoming 2014 World Cup, minutes after the 23-member line-up was announced.
Chief coach Luiz Felipe Scolari unveiled the Selecao squad, as the Brazilian team is known, Wednesday, with just 35 days to go before the opening match June 12 in the country, reports Xinhua.
"Led by the talent of Neymar, the national team pursues the dream of its sixth championship," Rousseff said via Twitter, referring to the Brazilian-born star playing for Spanish club Barcelona.
Brazil has won the World Cup five times (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002), more than any other team. Italy have won four times and Germany thrice.
Rousseff also had words of praise for the national team`s goalkeeper Victor, who plays for the team she roots for, Atletico Mineiro.
Rousseff also welcomed all the fans and tourists to Brazil.
"We love soccer and are proud of organizing this Cup of Cups," said Rousseff, adding Brazil will warmly welcome foreigners travelling to see the tournament in the South American country.
"All those who come to Brazil will be well-received and will find a multi-cultural country, with happy, hard-working people," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues