Brazilian striker Brandao`s Bastia move collapses
Brasilia: Brazilian striker Brandao`s move to Ligue 1 club SC Bastia collapsed on Friday after the Corsicans claimed that Saint-Etienne demanded a transfer fee for the player at the last minute.
"After the player signed a one-year deal (with the option of a second), Saint-Etienne demanded a transfer fee, contrary to what we had initially foreseen," said Bastia in a statement.
Bastia, now coached by Claude Makelele, added that they had therefore decided not to go ahead with the deal for the 34-year-old.
However, Saint-Etienne responded by denying that they had ever demanded money for the player.
"Contrary to the claims of the Corsican club, the directors of ASSE have never asked for a transfer fee in relation to Brandao," read a statement on their website.
Saint-Etienne also claimed that Bastia still owe them more than 150,000 euros ($201,000, £120,000) for the signing of the defender Sylvain Marchal two years ago.
Brandao, a title-winner with Marseille in 2010, had initially thought he had been freed from the final year of his contract with Saint-Etienne to allow him to sign for Bastia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test