Cabanas regains consciousness after shooting
Mexico City: Paraguay striker Salvador Cabanas regained consciousness and spoke to his family for the first time since he was shot in a Mexico City bar last week, his doctors said on Saturday.
The prolific goal scorer was shot in the bathroom of the bar in the early hours of Monday and the bullet fired into his head remains lodged in his brain.
"He is speaking normally, asks questions and greeted his doctors and family," Dr Ernesto Martinez, who operated on Cabanas, told a news conference.
"Things are very favourable, much more encouraging," he added.
Mexican police are still searching for a man suspected of shooting Cabanas, possibly over his recent scoring record.
Reforma newspaper said Cabanas dared the man to shoot after taunting him in the bar`s lavatory, citing a bathroom attendant`s statement to police.
The 29-year-old plays for Mexican club America, was Paraguay`s top scorer in the qualifying competition for this year`s World Cup in South Africa with six goals and expected to lead his country`s attack at the finals.
Cabanas was also the top scorer in the South American Libertadores Cup in 2007 with 10 goals and again the following year with eight, both while playing for America, which is Mexico`s richest and most powerful club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir