Cabanas regains consciousness after shooting
Mexico City: Paraguay striker Salvador Cabanas regained consciousness and spoke to his family for the first time since he was shot in a Mexico City bar last week, his doctors said on Saturday.
The prolific goal scorer was shot in the bathroom of the bar in the early hours of Monday and the bullet fired into his head remains lodged in his brain.
"He is speaking normally, asks questions and greeted his doctors and family," Dr Ernesto Martinez, who operated on Cabanas, told a news conference.
"Things are very favourable, much more encouraging," he added.
Mexican police are still searching for a man suspected of shooting Cabanas, possibly over his recent scoring record.
Reforma newspaper said Cabanas dared the man to shoot after taunting him in the bar`s lavatory, citing a bathroom attendant`s statement to police.
The 29-year-old plays for Mexican club America, was Paraguay`s top scorer in the qualifying competition for this year`s World Cup in South Africa with six goals and expected to lead his country`s attack at the finals.
Cabanas was also the top scorer in the South American Libertadores Cup in 2007 with 10 goals and again the following year with eight, both while playing for America, which is Mexico`s richest and most powerful club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you