Casillas left out of Real Madrid squad
Madrid: Real Madrid have left out goalkeeper and former captain Iker Casillas for Saturday`s Primera Liga clash against Zaragoza.
Casillas has been back in full training for a week after recovering from a broken bone in his left hand.
Casillas had been expected to be included in the squad with the big question whether or not he would go into the first team ahead of Diego Lopez, who was bought from Sevilla in January. Lopez was brought in as a cover for injured Casillas.
"He (Casillas) was passed fit a week ago, but he has not been passed as fit to compete. That is why he has not been called up," said Real Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka.
When asked when Casillas would be fit to compete the Madrid assistant coach limited himself to replying he would return, "when he is 100 percent to play, the same as any other player."
Karanka also refused to make a comparison between the two goalkeepers saying those present in the press conference would be, "better speaking to Silvino Louro - that is why he is our goalkeeping coach."
The decision to leave Casillas out of the squad will do little to calm speculation over the supposedly poor relationship between Casillas and Jose Mourinho, who had dropped the Spain international on a couple of occasions before his injury.
The relationship was not helped by stories that Casillas and defender, Sergio Ramos had spoken to club President, Florentino Perez warning him that several players would request transfers if Mourinho remained at the club past the end of this season.
Casillas`s journalist girlfriend, Sara Carbonero added fuel to the flames with declarations on Mexican television that the atmosphere in the Madrid dressing room was "not all good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says