Casillas left out of Real Madrid squad
Madrid: Real Madrid have left out goalkeeper and former captain Iker Casillas for Saturday`s Primera Liga clash against Zaragoza.
Casillas has been back in full training for a week after recovering from a broken bone in his left hand.
Casillas had been expected to be included in the squad with the big question whether or not he would go into the first team ahead of Diego Lopez, who was bought from Sevilla in January. Lopez was brought in as a cover for injured Casillas.
"He (Casillas) was passed fit a week ago, but he has not been passed as fit to compete. That is why he has not been called up," said Real Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka.
When asked when Casillas would be fit to compete the Madrid assistant coach limited himself to replying he would return, "when he is 100 percent to play, the same as any other player."
Karanka also refused to make a comparison between the two goalkeepers saying those present in the press conference would be, "better speaking to Silvino Louro - that is why he is our goalkeeping coach."
The decision to leave Casillas out of the squad will do little to calm speculation over the supposedly poor relationship between Casillas and Jose Mourinho, who had dropped the Spain international on a couple of occasions before his injury.
The relationship was not helped by stories that Casillas and defender, Sergio Ramos had spoken to club President, Florentino Perez warning him that several players would request transfers if Mourinho remained at the club past the end of this season.
Casillas`s journalist girlfriend, Sara Carbonero added fuel to the flames with declarations on Mexican television that the atmosphere in the Madrid dressing room was "not all good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September