Casillas left out of Real Madrid squad
Madrid: Real Madrid have left out goalkeeper and former captain Iker Casillas for Saturday`s Primera Liga clash against Zaragoza.
Casillas has been back in full training for a week after recovering from a broken bone in his left hand.
Casillas had been expected to be included in the squad with the big question whether or not he would go into the first team ahead of Diego Lopez, who was bought from Sevilla in January. Lopez was brought in as a cover for injured Casillas.
"He (Casillas) was passed fit a week ago, but he has not been passed as fit to compete. That is why he has not been called up," said Real Madrid assistant coach Aitor Karanka.
When asked when Casillas would be fit to compete the Madrid assistant coach limited himself to replying he would return, "when he is 100 percent to play, the same as any other player."
Karanka also refused to make a comparison between the two goalkeepers saying those present in the press conference would be, "better speaking to Silvino Louro - that is why he is our goalkeeping coach."
The decision to leave Casillas out of the squad will do little to calm speculation over the supposedly poor relationship between Casillas and Jose Mourinho, who had dropped the Spain international on a couple of occasions before his injury.
The relationship was not helped by stories that Casillas and defender, Sergio Ramos had spoken to club President, Florentino Perez warning him that several players would request transfers if Mourinho remained at the club past the end of this season.
Casillas`s journalist girlfriend, Sara Carbonero added fuel to the flames with declarations on Mexican television that the atmosphere in the Madrid dressing room was "not all good."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes
- Pampore terror attack: Centre to send committee to find reason behind security lapse