Chelsea confident of getting Hiddink
London: Chelsea are confident of replacing their sacked coach Carlo Ancelotti with Dutchman Guus Hiddink, who has one year remaining on contract with Turkey.
Hiddink is close to the club`s Russian owner Roman Abramovich and the billionaire is in hot pursuit of the former Russian national coach to take over as Chelsea`s seventh manager in as many seasons.
In fact it was Abramovich, who persuaded Hiddink to take over as the interim-coach, even when he was the Russia coach, in 2009 and the short spell saw Chelsea winning 34 points from 13 games, an FA Cup and a controversial exit from Europe to Barcelona. Since then, Hiddink, has acted as an adviser to the club on an ad hoc, unpaid basis.
Hiddink has never broken any contract but has indicated that he could leave his post as coach of Turkey if they lose a crucial Euro 2012 qualifier away to Belgium June 3.
A newspaper reported that even if Turkey win the qualifier in Brussels, there remains the possibility they would accept him leaving if compensated by Chelsea. Although Turkey retain hope of reaching the 2012 finals - they could be involved in the play-offs as late as November - there is an undercurrent of frustration that Hiddink`s appointment has not had the anticipated impact in terms of results and integration of younger players into the first team.
But Hiddink, whose last three assignments have been with national teams, is reportedly tempted to return to club management on a full-time basis.
"I don`t know that you can say that (he would not consider a club job). He is focusing on his job and he likes what he is doing. As long as he is in the race for the European Championship with Turkey, he would continue to focus on that. Once that is finished he will start thinking about his future," his agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen was quoted as saying by the daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared