Chelsea given permission to speak to Demba Ba by Newcastle
London: Chelsea have been granted permission to open talks with Newcastle striker Demba Ba after the west London club activated the release clause in the Senegal international`s contract.
Rumours had surfaced over the festive programme linking Ba with a move to the European champions, and now the Blues have moved to secure his signing.
As a result of the discussions, Ba has been withdrawn from the Magpies` squad to face Everton on Wednesday evening.
"Newcastle United can confirm that Chelsea Football Club has made an official offer for Demba Ba which has triggered the release clause in the player`s contract," read a statement on the club’s official website.
"The club has given the player permission to speak to Chelsea FC and therefore he will not be included in the squad for tonight`s game against Everton."
Ba – who joined the Magpies from West Ham on a free transfer in June 2011 - has scored 13 goals this season, almost twice as many as Fernando Torres, who has seven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi