Chhetri stands a chance of earning deal with Rangers: Houghton
New Delhi: Former India football coach Bob Houghton believes that star striker Sunil Chhetri stands a good chance of striking a deal with Scottish giants Rangers.
Chhetri along with his strike partner Jeje Lalpekhlua are currently undergoing trials with Rangers.
The two are in Glasgow and may feature for the club in a friendly match against Bundesliga outfit Hamburg on Wednesday.
Houghton said out of the two, Chhetri is the one who has the better chance of earning a contract.
"This isn`t the first time Sunil is coming to the UK in order to earn a deal. It was a real shame things did not work out for him at QPR and Coventry due to issues like work permits and visas.
"He is a very talented player. Jeje is someone who broke into the national team just when my time was coming to an end. He is young so the transition will be much harder for him. He is one for the future. Out of the two, Sunil has the better chance of getting a deal," Houghton said.
Adding further Houghton said, "He (Sunil) brings with him international experience. Both are short in height but there have been good small players in Scotland. It will not be easy."
Houghton felt that success for Indian footballers in Europe will not come overnight and they have to wait for some time.
"In terms of development, the Indian players are behind the Chinese or those in the Far or Middle East," Houghton, whose five-year stint with India ended earlier this year, told `BBC`.
"It could take a decade before you begin to see Indian footballers coming over to Europe on a regular basis. There is a big difference coming to play in England or Scotland from India but I wish them all the best," said Houghton under whom India won the two Nehru Cups besides qualifying for the Asian Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!