Churchill scrape past Air India in I-League
Pune: Churchill Brothers secured full points from their match against Air India and placed themselves in a perfect position to threaten fellow Goan rivals Dempo in the race to the top in the I-League football championship.
Captain Roberto `Beto` Silva scored on second rebound following a free-kick in the 30th minute and that was enough for Churchill to hang on and win 1-0 at the Balewadi Sports Complex ground Thursday.
Churchill now have 33 points with a game in hand, one point behind East Bengal and seven off leaders Dempo. Air India stays at 24 points from 18 matches.
Both teams missed the services of their first choice strikers Henry Antchouet and ND Opara for Churchill and Henry Ezeh and Takayuki Omi for Air India.
Air India, nonetheless, found some cracks in Churchill defence and sneaked in, but the home team`s finishing was not up to the mark. Sandeep Sangha`s sent at least four wayward shots from the top of the box after he was handed a golden chance in the ninth minute.
Churchill`s goal was set up when Balan took freekick that landed behind the wall and on second rebound, Beto pounced on the chance and let the ball stroll into the post.
In second half, Air India showed some urgency to find an equaliser. But without Takayuki and Henry, they really struggled. Manandeep was a revelation as he created at least three chances in the second half but failed to get support upfront.
Churchill`s Roberto Silva was the man-of-the-match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof