Coentrao wants to leave Real Madrid, claims Carvalho
Madrid: Former Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho has claimed Fabio Coentrao is eager to quit the club this summer.
The 25-year-old full-back claimed earlier this year that he has never felt wanted in the Spanish capital, prompting rumours he could follow Jose Mourinho to Chelsea or return to his homeland with Benfica.
Carvalho, who recently signed for Monaco, believes his compatriot could well be set to move on from the Liga giants this summer - though he has urged him to stay at the club.
"I think that he wants to move on because he thinks that it would be the best thing for him to do career-wise," the 35-year-old told A Bola.
"Personally, I think he should continue because he meets Madrid’s requirements. He played well in practically every game last season.”
"He’s a great left-back, to the point where he even made a few of his critics change their opinion about him. I do think that he has a place at Real Madrid."
Another Portugal star linked with a summer move away from Real Madrid is Cristiano Ronaldo, although Carvalho is confident his compatriot will sign a new deal at the club and placed him above Barcelona`s Lionel Messi as the world`s finest player.
"Every player who has quit Real Madrid will have regretted it later," Carvalho continued.
"Cristiano will renew his contract.”
"Cristiano is a winner, he always wants to play and win and that’s why I am in no doubt that he will continue with Madrid.”
"Cristiano is a more complete player than Messi and I am not just saying that because I am Portuguese, looking at it objectively, it’s what I think."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank