Colombian president praises James Rodriguez on Real move
Bogota (Colombia): Colombia`s President Juan Manuel Santos has congratulated national football star James Rodriguez on moving to Spanish club Real Madrid.
"What pride James Rodriguez!" the president posted on his Twitter account. "Thanks for being an example that with effort and dedication youth in Colombia can get very far", reports Xinhua.
Colombian Foreign Minister Maria Angela Holguin said the footballer, whose performance at the 2014 Brazil World Cup won him the FIFA Golden Boot for most goals scored, helped improve the country`s image abroad.
"Thanks jamesdrodriguez for continuing to show the good side of Colombia to the world. (You are the) Great pride of our country," Holguin said via Twitter.
As Real Madrid officially unveiled Rodriguez at Madrid`s Bernabeu Stadium Tuesday, social networks in Colombia and around the world lit up with messages from well-wishers for the 23-year-old Colombian footballer, who had often spoken of his dream to play for the Spanish club.
"The dream is now REAL. Happy to be part of the best club in the world," Rodriguez wrote on Twitter.
FIFA Monday announced Rodriguez`s goal against Uruguay in the World Cup round of 16 was voted the best goal of the tournament by more than four million people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi