Confederations Cup will help Brazil mature: Dunga
Brazil: The Selecao legend believes that the competition could turn Felip Scolari`s young side into a top international outfit - with Neymar leading from the front.
Dunga has claimed that the upcoming Confederations Cup could prove vital to Brazil`s hopes of winning the 2014 World Cup on home soil next year.
The former Selecao coach believes that the current generation are still in a developmental phase and that facing stern challenges against strong sides this month, including Japan, Mexico and Italy, is exactly what is required to take the hosts to the next level.
"The team [Brazil] is in a stage of maturation, and, not having to play qualifiers [for the World Cup], needs to play matches with `real` opponents who present a challenge," Dunga said.
The 49-year-old also asserted that Brazil`s World Cup and Confederation Cup hopes rest largely on Neymar, and was quick to praise his countryman - but recognised that he can`t win tournaments for Brazil single-handedly.
"Technically, [Neymar] has fantastic shots. Certainly in Brazil he has started many changes. [However], one boy cannot solve all of the Selecao`s problems. He can be a leader, but he needs a team around him."
Dunga recognised that the prodigious talent could initially struggle at Barcelona but said that he has little doubt that he will succeed.
"There is some risk," the former midfield ace mused. "But I`m sure that Neymar will do just fine. Because here in Brazil, the whole opposing team tried to block him to stop [Santos], whereas in Barcelona there is Messi, Iniesta, Xavi ....
"He will be less of a God [to the fans] but will have more freedom. He will play at Camp Nou as he would on the beach: trying to have fun."
Dunga skippered Brazil to World Cup glory in the United States in 1994.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India