Curitiba stadium to stage World Cup test event
Curitiba (Brazil): Brazil`s troubled Arena da Baixada Stadium will stage its first World Cup test event March 26.
But the venue will not be officially ready until April 30, just six weeks before football`s showpiece event. The announcement Monday comes less than a week after FIFA decided to keep the stadium on the World Cup schedule despite severe construction delays, reports Xinhua.
It is one of four the World Cup stadiums yet to be ready for the June 12-July 13 tournament despite a December 2013 deadline imposed by FIFA. The test event is expected to be open to just 10,000 fans, less than a quarter of its final capacity.
Officials also said the stadium`s redevelopment budget has risen to 330 million reais, up from an original of 184 million reais.
Arena da Baixada will host four World Cup matches: Iran-Nigeria (June 16), Honduras-Ecuador (June 20), Australia-Spain (June 23) and Algeria-Russia (June 26).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister