Curitiba stadium to stage World Cup test event
Curitiba (Brazil): Brazil`s troubled Arena da Baixada Stadium will stage its first World Cup test event March 26.
But the venue will not be officially ready until April 30, just six weeks before football`s showpiece event. The announcement Monday comes less than a week after FIFA decided to keep the stadium on the World Cup schedule despite severe construction delays, reports Xinhua.
It is one of four the World Cup stadiums yet to be ready for the June 12-July 13 tournament despite a December 2013 deadline imposed by FIFA. The test event is expected to be open to just 10,000 fans, less than a quarter of its final capacity.
Officials also said the stadium`s redevelopment budget has risen to 330 million reais, up from an original of 184 million reais.
Arena da Baixada will host four World Cup matches: Iran-Nigeria (June 16), Honduras-Ecuador (June 20), Australia-Spain (June 23) and Algeria-Russia (June 26).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan