Curitiba stadium to stage World Cup test event
Curitiba (Brazil): Brazil`s troubled Arena da Baixada Stadium will stage its first World Cup test event March 26.
But the venue will not be officially ready until April 30, just six weeks before football`s showpiece event. The announcement Monday comes less than a week after FIFA decided to keep the stadium on the World Cup schedule despite severe construction delays, reports Xinhua.
It is one of four the World Cup stadiums yet to be ready for the June 12-July 13 tournament despite a December 2013 deadline imposed by FIFA. The test event is expected to be open to just 10,000 fans, less than a quarter of its final capacity.
Officials also said the stadium`s redevelopment budget has risen to 330 million reais, up from an original of 184 million reais.
Arena da Baixada will host four World Cup matches: Iran-Nigeria (June 16), Honduras-Ecuador (June 20), Australia-Spain (June 23) and Algeria-Russia (June 26).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends