David Beckham appointed as global ambassador for Chinese football
London: Football great David Beckham has become the global ambassador for Chinese football to restore the image of the game in the country, which had been lately hit with a series of scandals, including match-fixing and corruption.
The former English footballer, who will combine his time in Paris Saint Germain with his new role, stated that he has been honoured to be chosen as an ambassador for Chinese football, adding that he is keyed up to promote the game to football fans in China to feed their growing interest.
Beckham, whose role will also involve attending league matches in China and visiting clubs to help promote the game to children, further stated that he is happy to have an opportunity to introduce more people to football, adding that the game inspires people and brings families together.
Along with corruption and the match-fixing scandals, the Chinese Super League has also recently been hit by the exit of former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba for Turkish side Galatasaray, in a controversial loan move.
Drogba had joined Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua in June 2012 on a two-and-half-year deal after helping Chelsea to win last season`s Champions League, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?