David Beckham appointed as global ambassador for Chinese football
London: Football great David Beckham has become the global ambassador for Chinese football to restore the image of the game in the country, which had been lately hit with a series of scandals, including match-fixing and corruption.
The former English footballer, who will combine his time in Paris Saint Germain with his new role, stated that he has been honoured to be chosen as an ambassador for Chinese football, adding that he is keyed up to promote the game to football fans in China to feed their growing interest.
Beckham, whose role will also involve attending league matches in China and visiting clubs to help promote the game to children, further stated that he is happy to have an opportunity to introduce more people to football, adding that the game inspires people and brings families together.
Along with corruption and the match-fixing scandals, the Chinese Super League has also recently been hit by the exit of former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba for Turkish side Galatasaray, in a controversial loan move.
Drogba had joined Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua in June 2012 on a two-and-half-year deal after helping Chelsea to win last season`s Champions League, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read