Dortmund beat Hoffenheim 3-1 in Bundesliga
Berlin: Defending champions Dortmund cruised to a 3-1 victory over struggling Hoffenheim to climb to third place while Werder Bremen and Nuremberg shared points to close the 17th round of German Bundesliga.
In a rainy encounter at the Rhein-Neckar Arena, both sides needed some time to gain a foothold into the game, reports Xinhua.
With 26 minutes played Dortmund`s Mario Goetze broke the deadlock with a solo run and shot.
Hoffenheim responded with frenetic attacks and their efforts were rewarded with the equaliser nine minutes later. Kevin Volland`s cross into the box found Sven Schipplock, who had no problems to slot into the open goal.
After the interval the visitors piled on the pressure, as they seemed discontent with the equaliser by Hoffenheim.
Dortmund`s Kevin Grokreutz gave his side the lead for the second time, when he slotted home an assist by Marco Reus at the 58th minute.
Grokreutz`s goal took the wind out of the hosts` as Robert Lewandowski made it 3-1 on the scoreboard eight minutes later to seal the deal ahead of time.
Dortmund are ranked third on the table with 30 points, 12 points adrift of front-runners Bayern Munich, meanwhile Hoffenheim suffered their sixth loss in a row and remain in 16th position.
Elsewhere, Bremen and Nuremberg shared points following a 1-1 draw at Weser stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America