Dortmund beat Hoffenheim 3-1 in Bundesliga
Berlin: Defending champions Dortmund cruised to a 3-1 victory over struggling Hoffenheim to climb to third place while Werder Bremen and Nuremberg shared points to close the 17th round of German Bundesliga.
In a rainy encounter at the Rhein-Neckar Arena, both sides needed some time to gain a foothold into the game, reports Xinhua.
With 26 minutes played Dortmund`s Mario Goetze broke the deadlock with a solo run and shot.
Hoffenheim responded with frenetic attacks and their efforts were rewarded with the equaliser nine minutes later. Kevin Volland`s cross into the box found Sven Schipplock, who had no problems to slot into the open goal.
After the interval the visitors piled on the pressure, as they seemed discontent with the equaliser by Hoffenheim.
Dortmund`s Kevin Grokreutz gave his side the lead for the second time, when he slotted home an assist by Marco Reus at the 58th minute.
Grokreutz`s goal took the wind out of the hosts` as Robert Lewandowski made it 3-1 on the scoreboard eight minutes later to seal the deal ahead of time.
Dortmund are ranked third on the table with 30 points, 12 points adrift of front-runners Bayern Munich, meanwhile Hoffenheim suffered their sixth loss in a row and remain in 16th position.
Elsewhere, Bremen and Nuremberg shared points following a 1-1 draw at Weser stadium.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog