East Bengal hit United Sikkim for a sixer
Kolkata: Their I-League hopes might have been dashed but East Bengal remained in contention to finish runners-up whipping United Sikkim FC by a tennis score margin of 6-0 in a penultimate round fixture here on Wednesday.
East Bengal (47) are now two points behind second-placed Pune FC as the Kolkata giants, with a better goal difference, have a realistic chance to repeat their last two season`s performance by getting the better of Shillong Lajong in their concluding round fixture (May 12).
Desperate to return to winning ways after five consecutive draws, East Bengal dominated the proceedings right from the start with Penn Orji giving an eighth minute lead at the Salt Lake Stadium.
East Bengal did not look back from thereon as they took a 3-0 lead at halftime with goals from Mehtab Hossain (21st) and Lalrindika Ralte (35th).
In fact, it could have been easily 4-0 at the break had Penn not muffed a 4-yard shot in the 20th minute.
But East Bengal returned after the break with the equal flair as they pumped in three more for a tennis-like scoreline.
Cavin Lobo (80th) started the goal glut in the second-half, while Aussie recruit Anderew Barisic put his name on the board scoring from the spot in the 88th minute.
Edeh Chidi completed the humiliation firing one in the 89th minute to hand the Bhaichung Bhutia-owned side their 14th loss from 25 matches as they are all set to be relegated placed at the bottom with 15 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj