East Bengal thump HAL 8-1 in I-League
Bangalore: The recent derby defeat to Mohun Bagan was forgotten as a resurgent East Bengal mauled Hindustan Aeronautics Limited 8-1 to record their biggest ever victory in the I-League, on Wednesday.
Making a comeback after missing Sunday`s 0-1 defeat to Mohun Bagan, Aussie striker Tolgay Ozbey notched up four goals, defender Uga Okpara struck twice while Robin Singh and Baljit Saini scored one each.
Few quick attacks and East Bengal struck the right chord. Eight minutes into the game, keeper Amar Deb fumbled from a feeble back pass from skipper Femi Adeola, and latching quickly onto the lapse, Robin placed the ball straight into the goal.
After another eight minutes, Hamza earned a penalty for his team after Robert Lalthama tripped him inside the penalty box. Hamza made no mistake to restore parity.
East Bengal raided HAL defense repeatedly. Uga Okpara toyed with the defense and scored two goals in a gap of 10 minutes.
In the second half, Tolgay was just waiting for his share of action. His trademark running down the flank always troubled HAL full backs. However, this time, defense could barely cope with his pace and in no time he scored his hat-trick.
Baljit Saini joined the party with a goal within a minute replacing Sanju Pradhan. The eighth goal came from Robin`s cross - Tolgay, coming from behind a HAL defender, sweetly timed his jump with an accurate header for his fourth goal of the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read