Ecuador sack World Cup coach Reinaldo Rueda, hand reins to Sixto Vizuete
Quito: Ecuador have sacked World Cup coach Reinaldo Rueda following the team`s failure to progress beyond the group stage in Brazil.
"Professor Reinaldo Rueda will go no further with the national football team," Ecuadorean Football Federation (FEF) president Luis Chiriboga said.
Colombian Rueda, who had also been to the 2010 World Cup finals with Honduras, is being replaced by Ecuadorean Sixto Vizuete on a short contract until January 2015.
"Professor Vizuete will coach the senior team in the (upcoming) friendly matches," Chiriboga told reporters in Quito on Tuesday.
Ecuador will play friendlies against Colombia, the United States, Brazil and either Chile or Bolivia later in the year, the FEF said on its website (www.ecuafiurbol.org).
Rueda’s contract ended with Ecuador’s elimination at the World Cup when they drew 0-0 with France in their final group match on June 25 but he was open to a new deal.
Ecuador lost their opening match 2-1 to Switzerland before beating Honduras 2-1.
Vizuete, who has worked with the Ecuador juniors teams and coached local first division side El Nacional for the last two years, was in charge of the seniors for a year from November 2008 until their narrowly failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.
Rueda took charge of Ecuador, who had reached the 2002 and 2006 World Cup finals, in 2010 when he left the Honduras team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read