John Terry to remain Chelsea captain despite accepting FA racism charge
London: John Terry will remain as Chelsea captain despite not contesting his FA punishment for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, the club have confirmed.
Terry released a statement on Friday revealing he would not be appealing the four-game ban and £220,000 fine given to him for using racist language towards the QPR defender during a match last October.
The former England international also apologised for his actions, admitting his words were "not acceptable on the football field or indeed in any walk of life".
Later the same day Chelsea, too, released a statement, revealing they agreed with their captain`s decision not to appeal and had punished him after conducting an internal investigation into the incident.
The club initially asserted that the details of this punishment would remain private and, in his press conference ahead of Saturday`s clash with Tottenham, boss Roberto Di Matteo refused to confirm or deny whether Terry would be stripped of his armband.
But on Saturday morning, Chairman Bruce Buck and chief executive Ron Gourlay revealed on talksport that the club`s sanction took the form of a "very, very heavy fine" rather than a ban, and confirmed Terry`s position as captain is not under threat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!
- Watch: This rare video of young Varun Dhawan will leave you astonished!