Euro 2020 to be played across Europe
UEFA have announced that Euro 2020 will be played across Europe as opposed to the traditional format of one or two countries hosting the event.
Gianni Infantino, the general secretary of the executive committee, held a press conference on Thursday and revealed that the decision was prompted by an idea presented by president Michel Platini back in June.
"The main decision today by the committee was that the Euro 2020 finals tournament will be staged across the continent," he said.
"The idea of hosting the Euros in a number of cities comes from an idea by UEFA president Michel Platini from June this year.
"It was presented to all of the associations and to all of you (the journalists) on the eve of the final of Euro 2012. After that UEFA consulted all of their 53 national associations and we got their feedback.
"The response was extremely positive and has prompted the decision we are announcing today. I do have to say, however, that the idea was not supported by one member, Senes Erzik from Turkey.
"This response means that we will take the responsibility to review this matter and come up with concrete proposals on how it will look in terms of competition structure, competition format, number of cities and so on, in the coming weeks."
"We will report back to the UEFAexecutive committee who will then make the decision on the bidding which should be complete around March 27 or 28."
The cities to host the competition have not yet been elected, but this is expected to happen in the close future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'