Euro Cup 2012: Italy vs Croatia – Preview
Italy boss Cesare Prandelli is likely to stick with the 3-5-2 formation which earned his side a 1-1 draw against Spain on Sunday.
The former Fiorentina coach has two major decisions to make, the first will come at the back as he must choose whether to retain Daniele De Rossi, who was impressive at the heart of the defence in their last match, or opt for Angelo Ogbonna and move the Roma star back into midfield.
His other dilemma is up front as he must pick between fielding Mario Balotelli or Antonio Di Natale. Balotelli looked frustrated and wasted a golden opportunity to open the scoring versus Spain, while the veteran Udinese star came off the bench to replace the youngster and netted the opening goal. However, Di Natale may not have a full 90 minutes in his legs at 34 years of age.
Croatia, meanwhile, are sitting in pole position in the group after their 3-1 triumph over Republic of Ireland and despite injuries to key players such as defender Dejan Lovren and striker Ivica Olic before the tournament, they did not miss a beat in their opener with the midfielders and strikers looking particularly bright.
Luka Modric will be given the keys to direct play once again, but coach Slaven Bilic could opt to be more cautious by dropping one of his goalscorers, Nikica Jelavic or Mario Mandzukic, from the clash with the Boys in Green to employ an extra midfielder for a stable and conservative approach against the Azzurri.
Italy ended a three-match losing streak with their tie versus Spain, having previously been defeated in three consecutive friendlies against USA, Uruguay, and Russia.
Balotelli, Leonardo Bonucci, Giorgio Chiellini and Christian Maggio will miss Italy`s final group stage match against Ireland if they are booked. Kranjcar and Modric would be absent from Croatia`s clash with Spain if they picked up a yellow card.
Juventus midfielder Emanuele Giaccherini made his debut when he started their last match in Gdansk.
Di Natale became the fourth-oldest scorer in the history of the tournament with his strike against Spain, but was later knocked down to fifth on the list after Andriy Shevchenko found the net against Sweden one day later.
Croatia have not lost to Italy since attaining independence in 1991, earning three wins and two draws.
Stipe Pletikosa and Gianluigi Buffon were also the starting goalkeepers when Croatia defeated the Azzurri 2-1 in the 2002 World Cup group stage.
Mandzukic, who netted a double against Ireland, is only the second Croatian player to score twice in the same match at a European Championship, the other being Davor Suker, who achieved the feat in 1996.
Both teams were knocked out of Euro 2008 at the quarter-final stage on penalties, Croatia beaten by Turkey and Italy bowing out against Spain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination