FIFA conducts management course in Botswana
Gaborone: The world football governing body FIFA Monday opened a management and administration course in Botswana as a way of improving the level of the game in the country through commercialisation.
The week-long course held in the capital Gaborone is expected to run until March 28. A total of 32 participants from the Botswana Football Association (BFA) regions are attending the course that is conducted by FIFA certified instructors Justus Mugisha and Tshepo Mphoeng, Xinhua reported.
The course that is held under the theme `Football as a business-learn the tools of the trade` is expected to assist the BFA in its efforts to commercialise the sport in the country as well as turning professional.
Officially opening the course, Botswana`s Minister of Trade and Industry Dorcas Makgato-Malesu said football has over the years grown into a big money business and it was only right for the local authorities to try and turn around the fortunes of the sport by taking the commercialisation route.
She urged participants to tap from the knowledge they gain from the course and use it to develop the sport throughout the country. She commended the BFA for taking a bold step to turn the sport professional so that they can start generating revenue through commercialisation.
Sport in Botswana is still at amateur level and relies mostly on government funding, something that has shown not to be sustainable in the long run.
The BFA in 2013 hired an experienced British administrator Keith Masters as its chief executive officer (CEO) and he was mandated with commercialising the game.
He had previously been an administrator with Kent county football association and is credited with helping the association to commercialise. Despite still at amateur level, Botswana has over the years produced very good soccer players, some of whom went on to play in the professional ranks.
The country qualified for its first major tournament, the Africa Cup of nation (AFCON) in 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference