Figo sure to ruin Beckham’s England’s World Cup bid dreams
London: Former Portugal captain Luis Figo, backing Portugal-Spain to win the rights to host the 2018 World Cup, has warned his former Real Madrid team-mate David Beckham, saying that England would end up disappointed.
Figo, who came face to face with Beckham at the bidding countries’ expo in South Africa, said: “I will be up against David and I am going to beat him for 2018.”
“These things happen in life and it is a pleasure to see him again. It is a different situation from the sort we are used to and I just hope I can be happier when the decision comes than him,” The Daily Mail quoted Figo, as saying.
The ten countries, which are bidding to host the tournament in 2018 or 2022 made video presentations to the media.
According to reports, England’s four-minute video was the weakest played on a big screen in front of a media throng.
A decision on the hosts will be made in Zurich on December 2 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India