Figo sure to ruin Beckham’s England’s World Cup bid dreams
London: Former Portugal captain Luis Figo, backing Portugal-Spain to win the rights to host the 2018 World Cup, has warned his former Real Madrid team-mate David Beckham, saying that England would end up disappointed.
Figo, who came face to face with Beckham at the bidding countries’ expo in South Africa, said: “I will be up against David and I am going to beat him for 2018.”
“These things happen in life and it is a pleasure to see him again. It is a different situation from the sort we are used to and I just hope I can be happier when the decision comes than him,” The Daily Mail quoted Figo, as saying.
The ten countries, which are bidding to host the tournament in 2018 or 2022 made video presentations to the media.
According to reports, England’s four-minute video was the weakest played on a big screen in front of a media throng.
A decision on the hosts will be made in Zurich on December 2 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump