Figo sure to ruin Beckham’s England’s World Cup bid dreams
London: Former Portugal captain Luis Figo, backing Portugal-Spain to win the rights to host the 2018 World Cup, has warned his former Real Madrid team-mate David Beckham, saying that England would end up disappointed.
Figo, who came face to face with Beckham at the bidding countries’ expo in South Africa, said: “I will be up against David and I am going to beat him for 2018.”
“These things happen in life and it is a pleasure to see him again. It is a different situation from the sort we are used to and I just hope I can be happier when the decision comes than him,” The Daily Mail quoted Figo, as saying.
The ten countries, which are bidding to host the tournament in 2018 or 2022 made video presentations to the media.
According to reports, England’s four-minute video was the weakest played on a big screen in front of a media throng.
A decision on the hosts will be made in Zurich on December 2 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA