French League to probe alleged racial slur by official
Paris: The French League (LFP) have opened an investigation into alleged racist remarks made by an assistant referee to AJ Auxerre midfielder Kamel Chafni at Stade Brest.
"(LFP president) Frederic Thiriez has ordered an investigation so that the matter can be clarified as soon as possible," the LFP said in a statement.
Moroccan Chafni claimed assistant referee Johann Perruaux told him `get lost, Arab`. Chafni reported it to referee Tony Chapron but was booked and then sent off in the 55th minute.
"This matter must be cleared up. Some Brest players heard the same thing. So I don`t think it`s the player`s imagination,"
Auxerre president Gerard Bourgoin was quoted as saying by sports daily L`Equipe on Sunday.
"There is a foul that is not sanctioned, I got to the assistant referee to tell him it`s not normal," Chafni told L`Equipe.
"He answers: `get lost, Arab` (...) I go to the field referee and I tell him what happened and he gives me a yellow card. I tell him it is unacceptable and he shows me a red card."
Chapron denied his assistant had made a racial slur.
"I deny all allegations," he told reporters after the game.
"I know the man (...) and I can tell you that he would never make racist remarks."
Brest won the match 1-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel