German Bundesliga: Hamburg draw, Augsburg win
Berlin: Hamburg were held to 1-1 draw at Nuremberg owing to the leveller by Tomas Pekhart while Augsburg defeated Dusseldorf 3-2 giving away a 3-0 lead to close the 18th round of German Bundesliga.
Nuremberg`s Tomas Pekhart snatched Hamburg three points on home soil thanks to his equaliser in the 75th minute. The hosts started highly motivated against the "Hanseaten" but as soon as the match progressed the visitors took the reins.
Hamburg lurked for holes inside Nuremberg`s defence but yet they had difficulties to overcome the home sides bulwark. Thus both goalkeepers had little to do during the first half due to the lack of creativity by both teams.
With beginning of the second half Hamburg dictated the pace on the pitch as Dutchmen Rafael van der Vaart and Artjoms Rudnevs approached Nuremberg`s goal dangerously.
However, with 70 minutes into the match Dennis Aogo had set up with a cross for Artjoms Rudnevs, who won the air battle against Nuremberg`s Javier Pinola, to nod home from very close range.
The host remained unimpressed and responded well only five minutes later when Tomas Pekhart met Timo Gebharts diagonal pass inside the box to slot home from penalty area to restore parity.
Nonetheless, Nuremberg maintained their eight-point cushion to the relegation play off spot with 21 points whereas Hamburg occupy a disappointing ninth place with 25 points.
At the other match Sunday, Augsburg wrapped their second win of the season following their 3-2 win over Dusseldorf. Sascha Molders brace and Ja Cheol Koos goal pioneered the way for the win even though Dusseldorf`s Stefan Reisinger reduced the deficit with two consolation goals to ensure a thrilling closing period.
In the dying minutes of the match Reisinger again found the back of the net but referee Manuel Graefe denied the equaliser because of a supposed foregone foul play.
Despite the win Augsburg remain in the drop zone in 17th position with only 12 points out of 18 matches meanwhile newly promoted Dusseldorf stays in 14th with 21 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win