Ghana association apologises for early World Cup exit
Accra (Ghana): The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has issued a public apology for the Black Stars` early departure from the 2014 World Cup.
The Black Stars, quarterfinalists four years ago, finished at the bottom in Group G with one point following a defeat to the US, a draw with Germany and loss to Portugal, reports Xinhua.
This was Ghana`s worst performance since their debut at the 2006 finals in Germany.
GFA president Kwesi Nyantakyi said the performance of the team did not match their expectation.
"Admittedly, the performance of the team fell below the expectation of many Ghanaians. Our inability to qualify for the second round broke many Ghanaian hearts and we wish to offer our unqualified apologies for that disappointment," he said.
Ghana`s World Cup campaign was dogged by controversies after the team nearly boycotted the game against Portugal over unpaid appearance fees.
The agitation led to the ouster of two players, Sulley Ali Muntari, and Kevin-Prince Boateng, from the team`s camp for misconduct.
Head coach of the side Kwasi Appiah also apologised on behalf of the players and technical committee.
He, however, pointed out that his side, one of the youngest in the tournament, had the potential to surprise the world in the near future despite the flop.
"I believe that there were really good positives in the team," said Appiah, who is the first indigenous coach to take Ghana to the World Cup finals.
"That going into a competition with about 15 debutants, who have never been to the world class stage, and looking at their performance, I believe that we could improve on it and make sure that in future we get real players who are really committed to the nation`s cause, who are disciplined and prepared to kill themselves for the nation," he said.
"I believe the nation can depend on the young boys for 10 or more years," he added.
Ghana have now shifted attention to the African Cup of Nations qualifiers in September to book a place in the 2015 finals in Morocco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees