Guardiola prepares for last league game as Barca coach
Madrid: Pep Guardiola will sit in the FC Barcelona dugout for the last time in a Spanish Primera Liga match when his side travel to play Betis Saturday night.
The match is one of just two on the last weekend of the season in Spain in which neither side has anything to play for. Barcelona are assured of finishing second behind Real Madrid, while Betis can celebrate after a season which has seen them comfortably avoid relegation on their return to the Spanish top flight.
Guardiola has already said that he was using the last games of the season to prepare for the final of the Copa del Rey in which his side will take on Athletic Club Bilbao May 25th, Xinhua reported.
"It will be two weeks to the next game (the final) and Athletic are a side used to dominating games, and they are going to be a tough rival. They will be disappointed for losing the Europa League when we play them," he said
He would have played goalkeeper Jose Pinto in the game, but the keeper, who will play in the cup final was unable to train Friday because of an ankle problem.
"He is a lot better than he was a few days ago and there is no reason why he will not be fit for the Cup final," said Guardiola, who confirmed that first choice keeper Victor Valdes would play against Betis.
Meanwhile Carlos Puyol is also out of action and preparing for a knee operation which will keep him out of the European Championships and while David Villa has almost recovered from his broken leg, he will not be fit enough to take part Saturday.
Guardiola said he hoped Villa would be able to play in the Cup final, but added that it was down to Spain coach Vicente del Bosque to decide whether or not the striker would go to the European Championships.
Winger Alexis Sanchez also trained on his own as a result of a muscle problem and Guardiola included B-team players, Christian Tello, Martin Montoya and central defender Marc Bartra in his pre-match session.
Meanwhile Guardiola used his pre-game press conference to insist his relation with assistant coach Tito Vilanova, who will succeed him in the role, was strong and that he would not be taking any jobs next season in order to rest after four draining seasons as Barca coach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow