Hamstring injury sidelines Lionel Messi for rest of season
Madrid: Barcelona have confirmed that striker Leo Messi will miss the rest of the season as a result of the muscle injury which forced him out of his side`s 2-1 win away over Atletico Madrid.
The fact that Messi`s injury is a relapse of the hamstring problem, which he originally suffered in the quarter-final of the Champions League April 2 and which has troubled him ever since, is a key factor in the decision made by the club Monday.
As a result, Messi will miss Barcelona`s last games of the season, which are at home to Valladolid and Malaga and away to local rivals Espanyol.
Messi was forced out of the game against Athletico in the second half, leaving Barca to struggle on with 10 men, which they did with great effect, overturning a 0-1 deficit thanks to a goal from Alexis Sanchez and an own goal with 10 minutes remaining.
The Catalans are already assured of the Primera Liga title as of this weekend and they currently hold a 10-point lead over second placed Real Madrid with a game in hand.
Messi has been vital once again for Barca this season, playing 48 matches for his club (not counting internationals with Argentina) and scoring 58 goals in all competitions, with 46 of them coming in the league.
With the league won there is no need to rush Messi back to fitness and the player will now be able to recover slowly and hopefully return fresh at the start of the 2013-14 campaign, which promises to be a long season given that it begins in mid-August in Spain and ends with the 2014 World Cup, which will be held in Brazil.
It is not yet known whether he will be able to play for Argentina in their World Cup qualifying matches in early June. Argentina entertain Colombia, June 4, and away to Ecuador four days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'