Hamstring injury sidelines Lionel Messi for rest of season
Madrid: Barcelona have confirmed that striker Leo Messi will miss the rest of the season as a result of the muscle injury which forced him out of his side`s 2-1 win away over Atletico Madrid.
The fact that Messi`s injury is a relapse of the hamstring problem, which he originally suffered in the quarter-final of the Champions League April 2 and which has troubled him ever since, is a key factor in the decision made by the club Monday.
As a result, Messi will miss Barcelona`s last games of the season, which are at home to Valladolid and Malaga and away to local rivals Espanyol.
Messi was forced out of the game against Athletico in the second half, leaving Barca to struggle on with 10 men, which they did with great effect, overturning a 0-1 deficit thanks to a goal from Alexis Sanchez and an own goal with 10 minutes remaining.
The Catalans are already assured of the Primera Liga title as of this weekend and they currently hold a 10-point lead over second placed Real Madrid with a game in hand.
Messi has been vital once again for Barca this season, playing 48 matches for his club (not counting internationals with Argentina) and scoring 58 goals in all competitions, with 46 of them coming in the league.
With the league won there is no need to rush Messi back to fitness and the player will now be able to recover slowly and hopefully return fresh at the start of the 2013-14 campaign, which promises to be a long season given that it begins in mid-August in Spain and ends with the 2014 World Cup, which will be held in Brazil.
It is not yet known whether he will be able to play for Argentina in their World Cup qualifying matches in early June. Argentina entertain Colombia, June 4, and away to Ecuador four days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor