I-League: Churchill edge past Salgaocar 2-1
Margao: Henri Arnaud came off the bench to score a late winner in Churchill Brothers Sports Club`s 2-1 win over Salgaocar Sports Club in a fifth round clash of the I-League at the Nehru Stadium, Fatorda on Friday.
In a closely-fought encounter, both teams had chances to walk away with full points but after the teams had scored their opening goals from penalties, it was substitute Henri who scored the all important goal just two minutes before the close.
Churchill Brothers first opened their account with Brazilian striker Roberto Mendes da Silva scoring from the spot only for Sean Rooney to equalise for Salgaocar, also through a penalty.
Lebanese Akram Moghrabi and Bineesh Balan stitched nice moves upfront but lack of finishing meant they could not surge ahead early in the game.
Churchill, however, surged ahead when they were rewarded for their persistent attacks as Bineesh won a penalty in the 23rd minute after the striker was brought down by Salgaocar captain Luciano Sobrosa.
Beto stepped forward to take the penalty and got the better of rival goalkeeper Karanjit Singh.
After the setback, Salgaocar got their act together and clawed their way back. Midfielder Quinton Jacobs controlled the proceedings amicably and it was only a matter of time before Salgaocar neutralised the lead which eventually came in the 43rd minute through a penalty that was awarded after defender Dharmaraj Ravanan was adjudged to have handled Gilbert Oliveira?s cross inside the danger zone.
Sean Rooney made no mistake with the resultant penalty.
In the second session, Churchill, once again, was the dominant team at the start.
Roberto Mendes had a good chance in the 52nd minute but the Brazilian could not keep his header on target after an excellent delivery from Denzil Franco.
Salgaocar too had a chance but Francis Fernandes messed up with only the goalkeeper at his mercy.
Just when it seemed that the teams would settle for a draw, Henri showed excellent skill as he controlled an overhead ball from Bilal Najjarine and slammed it into the goal with his left foot in the 88th minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`