I`m not going back to Chelsea as No. 2: keeper Courtois
Madrid: Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, on loan at Atletico Madrid, wants his future with parent club Chelsea settled in the next few weeks and has told the Londoners he is not prepared to be the number two at Stamford Bridge.
The 21-year-old Belgian international, who has sparkled in his three seasons with Atletico, will be his country`s first-choice at the World Cup in Brazil in June.
"My agent is talking to Chelsea because ultimately they are the only party with whom a meaningful discussion can be conducted," Courtois told the Belgian magazine Knack.
"We have an agreement to meet (manager) Jose Mourinho in the coming weeks ... to make a firm decision."
Asked if Courtois felt he was a better goalkeeper than Chelsea`s long standing first-choice Petr Cech, he replied: "That I would never claim but with my current form I`m going nowhere where I have to be the second-choice.
"I think I`m no longer a player who you fetch to put on the bench. I can see where I want my future to go but I don`t have the last word.
"It is the boss who decides in the end," added Courtois, referring to Mourinho.
The Belgian`s contract at Chelsea runs until 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing