I respect Barcelona, but I`m only interested in Real Madrid, says Casillas
Madrid: Iker Casillas has admitted that he respects Pep Guardiola and Barcelona, but is only interested in Real Madrid’s recent and future successes.
The 31-year-old led Los Blancos to the Liga title in 2011-12, which he feels is more important than what is happening at the Camp Nou.
"I respect Barcelona and what Guardiola does, but what interests me is Real Madrid and trying to win all possible competitions," he "said.
"We will start the season in a good way, facing Valencia, a team that plays very well and that always makes things very difficult. The goal is to keep winning titles.
"I want to win the four competitions with Madrid: the Spanish Supercopa, La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the Champions League."
"Clearly victory in the Champions League for Real Madrid would be very special as it would be the tenth success. Last season we were at the gates of the final of the Champions League; this campaign we want to play in it, and of course win."
Casillas also led Spain to glory at Euro 2012, leading many to tout Casillas as a possible Ballon d`Or winner. And although the 31-year-old admits that it would be nice to see a goalkeeper win the accolade, he insists that he is not concerned about individual honours.
"The Ballon d’Or should be won by the player most deserving," he stated at a press conference in Houston, Texas.
"Now they say that I can win it, but it`s not something that I obsess over."
"Clearly, goalkeepers are not well appreciated in this type of awards, but I think we have the same right to win the Ballon d’Or as any of the other players take the field in every game."
"[Soviet legend Lev] Yashin has won the Ballon d`Or previously; why not another keeper?" he stated.
Spain`s third consecutive major tournament victory has led many to compare La Roja with the Brazil team of the early 1970s, and Casillas agrees that his nation should be regarded amonst the best teams in history.
"I do not know if we are the best, but undoubtedly, the Spanish national team is now one of the three best ever. Now we are the favorites in every competition and we all want to win. We`ve become the team to beat."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145