India begin SAFF U-16 championship with win
Kathmandu: The Indian football team began their SAFF U-16 Championship in style by drubbing 10-man Sri Lanka 4-1 in their Group B opener at the Army Ground here Sunday.
India, who are being represented by All India Football Federation (AIFF) Regional Academy`s U-15 boys, had little problem in dismantling their Asian rivals.
Striker Bedashwor Singh struck twice in each half (23rd, 88th) while Krishna Pandit (21st) and Prosenjit Chakroborty (66th) scored one apiece to seal what was an easy win for the Goutam Ghosh-coached side.
“Results stay immaterial. We wanted to see whether we were sticking to our philosophy, and I am glad that the boys were able to do that,” Ghosh said after the match.
“We had 75 percent of the ball possession. The Lankans were defending with ten men for most part of the match. We need to work on a few areas and for that we will be watching the video footage of the match. Before the match against Bangladesh, hopefully we will be able to plug the holes,” he added.
India next play Bangladesh Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Know the final recommendations of 7th Pay Commission in a nutshell
- Malala Yousafzai becomes millionaire with book sales, lectures
- Dennis Quaid's wife files divorce again
- RSS trained inmates of Jawahar Bagh: Ram Vriksh Yadav's 'security officer' to police
- India vs New Zealand: Indore gears up to host its first ever Test in upcoming series