India begin SAFF U-16 championship with win
Kathmandu: The Indian football team began their SAFF U-16 Championship in style by drubbing 10-man Sri Lanka 4-1 in their Group B opener at the Army Ground here Sunday.
India, who are being represented by All India Football Federation (AIFF) Regional Academy`s U-15 boys, had little problem in dismantling their Asian rivals.
Striker Bedashwor Singh struck twice in each half (23rd, 88th) while Krishna Pandit (21st) and Prosenjit Chakroborty (66th) scored one apiece to seal what was an easy win for the Goutam Ghosh-coached side.
“Results stay immaterial. We wanted to see whether we were sticking to our philosophy, and I am glad that the boys were able to do that,” Ghosh said after the match.
“We had 75 percent of the ball possession. The Lankans were defending with ten men for most part of the match. We need to work on a few areas and for that we will be watching the video footage of the match. Before the match against Bangladesh, hopefully we will be able to plug the holes,” he added.
India next play Bangladesh Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch