India begin SAFF U-16 championship with win
Kathmandu: The Indian football team began their SAFF U-16 Championship in style by drubbing 10-man Sri Lanka 4-1 in their Group B opener at the Army Ground here Sunday.
India, who are being represented by All India Football Federation (AIFF) Regional Academy`s U-15 boys, had little problem in dismantling their Asian rivals.
Striker Bedashwor Singh struck twice in each half (23rd, 88th) while Krishna Pandit (21st) and Prosenjit Chakroborty (66th) scored one apiece to seal what was an easy win for the Goutam Ghosh-coached side.
“Results stay immaterial. We wanted to see whether we were sticking to our philosophy, and I am glad that the boys were able to do that,” Ghosh said after the match.
“We had 75 percent of the ball possession. The Lankans were defending with ten men for most part of the match. We need to work on a few areas and for that we will be watching the video footage of the match. Before the match against Bangladesh, hopefully we will be able to plug the holes,” he added.
India next play Bangladesh Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'