Indian eves lose 0-2 to Holland in intl football friendly
Kolhapur: The International friendly between Indian women`s football team and their Dutch counterparts witnessed unbridled frenzy even though the hosts went down fighting 0-2 to the superior rivals at Chhatrapati Shahu Stadium here on Thursday.
The stadium was packed to the brim as vociferous crowd cheered up the home team, which gave a good account of themselves against the 14th ranked outfit.
Annebel ten Broeke and Sylvana Tieleman scored in each half to notch up the win for The Netherlands. While Broeke prodded home off Jolien van der Jeest`s cross from the right flank, Sylvana had to just tap in after Yentl Abbing set her up beautifully with only the goalkeeper to beat.
Barring these two occasions, Anandi Barua`s girls were the more convincing of the two sides for the better part of the match.
The Indian eves were also unfortunate not to have levelled in the 25th minute when Swati Rawat muffed an easy chance from Ashalata Devi`s free kick which the Dutch goalkeeper failed to collect.
The hosts proved their mettle by dominating the midfield against the European heavyweights. The likes of Subhaprava Rout and Swati Rawat stringed together some delightful passes with the two women up front.
But the Indian strikers Prameshwari Devi and Rinaroy Devi -- could not get the better of the tall Dutch backline, a point their Coach Barua had made earlier.
"We played well, I would say 75 per cent of what we are capable of. In football you have to score goals to win. We missed couple of sitters today, but overall I`m happy that we played so well against the mighty Dutch," Coach Barua said after the match.
"I am sure the girls will learn a lot from their little mistakes up front and give their best in the next game in Navi Mumbai," she added.
The next Friendly is December 20 in Navi Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!