Inter return to Europe in Zanetti`s send-off
Milan: Inter Milan handed club veteran Javier Zanetti a memorable send-off with a 4-1 win over Lazio which secured their place in next season`s Europa League.
Zanetti, who has spent 19 seasons with Inter, was playing in his final official game before taking up a director`s post with the Serie A giants.
Despite Zanetti`s San Siro farewell drawing a near capacity crowd, Inter coach Walter Mazzarri left the 40-year-old Argentinian on the bench until he replaced Jonathan in the 52nd minute.
Zanetti`s finale was also marked by a solitary fan running onto the pitch in the 90th minute to salute the man who has come to be simply known as `Il Capitano`.
But there was drama before then as Lazio, one of several teams fighting for the Europa league, stunned the stadium into silence when Bruno Pereirinha`s cross was knocked down by Lorik Cana for unmarked Giuseppe Biava to bundle past Samir Handanovic in the Inter net.
Any thoughts Zanetti`s night would be spoiled were dispelled by the half-time interval, however.
Inter were back on level terms five minutes later thanks to Rodrigo Palacio, took the lead through Mauro Icardi on 34 minutes and then put the match virtually beyond all reach when Palacio completed his brace three minutes later.
Brazilian international midfielder Hernanes, who joined the club from Lazio in January, completed the all-south American rout on 79 minutes.
Inter now have a six-point lead on both Parma and Milan and, even if they finish on the same points as both or either club, have a better differential than both using the league`s qualifying criteria for the Europa League.
This season, the sixth-placed finisher in Serie A will also qualify for Europa via the Italian Cup, won by Napoli over Fiorentina last week.
Earlier, Verona`s Europa hopes suffered a huge dent when Ghanaian substitute Emmanuel Badu hit an injury-time equaliser for Udinese in a 2-2 draw.
Verona had provisionally sneaked into the Europa zone after goals by Luca Toni, from the spot, and Emil Hallfredsson had given them a 2-1 lead by the 54th minute.
Veteran striker Antonio Di Natale reduced the arrears for the northeners on 56 minutes amid what was a pulsating and balanced game at the Bentegodi stadium.
But barely five minutes after replacing defensive midfielder Allan in the 87th minute, Badu brought Andrea Mandolini`s men back down to earth by firing a daisycutter past Verona `keeper Rafael in the first minute of injury time.
Instead of moving up to sixth, Verona remain ninth on 54 points, the same as Milan, who are eighth, and seventh-placed Parma, ahead of their respective matches away to Atalanta and Torino.
Juventus secured their third consecutive scudetto last weekend and are away to Roma, second and 11 points adrift, on Sunday.
A win would see Antonio Conte`s visitors amass 99 points and thus beat Inter`s Serie A record of 97 for their title-winning 2007 season, with one game in the season remaining.
Roma are assured of the second automatic Champions League qualifying spot while Napoli, away to Sampdoria on Sunday, will play in next season`s competition if they successfully negotiate the qualifying stages.
Fiorentina, in fourth, have secured the first Europa League spot but are away to a Livorno side on Sunday fighting for its top-flight survival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues