Italy must be top seeds: Prandelli
Rio de Janeiro: Cesare Prandelli has challenged his Italy side to finish off their World Cup qualifying campaign with a victory as crucial ranking points are at stake for Brazil 2014.
The Azzurri, who are already qualified for next year`s tournament, are currently projected to finish as one of the top seeds for the World Cup.
However, with Netherlands and Switzerland ready to take advantage of any slip-ups, Prandelli is demanding his side take three points against Armenia in Group B.
"We need the win, we must be seeded," he told reporters.
"These days there have been too many distractions and it worries me.
"We are facing a team that can still finish second. Armenia can trouble us. We must do well. Recently in double-headers we have been a bit ponderous, this time I want motivated people on the field.
"Let`s not forget that they have good players on the counter-attack, and that they can put us in trouble with long balls."
While Prandelli is aware that a potential draw or worse could jeopardise the Azzurri`s chances of being among the top seeds with Brazil, Spain, Argentina and Germany, the 56-year-old says he will make a few changes to the starting XI.
"The team? After training we will be more precise. I have yet to assess some of the players. But there will be several changes," he added.
"[Mario] Balotelli? It`s too early to say if he will play. He had stomach problems. Yesterday he had a good training session and he felt fine. Later we`ll be able to better see if he will play."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed