Italy will need two balls to beat Spain, jokes Prandelli
Rome: Italy head coach Cesare Prandelli claims his side may need an extra ball on the pitch if they are to overcome Spain in their Confederations Cup semi-final.
Prandelli`s men face Vicente del Bosque`s in-form side on Thursday in a repeat of the final of Euro 2012, and the 55-year-old is under no illusions as to how difficult it can be to play against a Roja side who dominate possession.
"To beat Spain you may have to bring another ball and play with two on the pitch," he joked to reporters.
"Getting the ball off them is extremely difficult. Let`s be clear: Spain are the best team in the world and continue to prove it. At times they are almost impossible to beat.
"Playing them gives me the desire to dare, to try something different and think of tactical innovations."
Italy have looked defensively shaky during the tournament thus far, having shipped eight goals in their group games, but Prandelli insists he is more concerned with playing with attacking flair than a miserly defence.
"Four of the eight goals we`ve conceded should not have been given," he continued.
"We`ve scored eight goals because we came to play good football, not to defend."
Prandelli is also pleased that his side have grown accustomed to the hot and humid conditions in Brazil ahead of the World Cup finals in 2014, but admitted it will be crucial for his players to be fresh next summer.
"The Confederations Cup has taught us that, in a year, we will need not just 23 footballers in the squad but 23 athletes," he continued.
"If players arrive next summer with an empty tank it will be very difficult."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands