Javi Martinez suffers serious injury in German Super Cup
Berlin: Bayern Munich`s Spanish international Javi Martinez looks set for a long spell on the sidelines after suffering a serious knee injury during Wednesday`s German SuperCup with Borussia Dortmund.
The 25-year-old defensive midfielder, who moved to Bayern in 2012 for 40 million euros ($53 million) after impressing at Athletic Bilbao, required lengthy medical treatment after landing awkwardly following a tackle by Dortmund defender Marcel Schmelzer on the half-hour mark.
He was replaced by Brazilian defender Dante.
According to German media reports the injury is to his cruciate ligaments and Bayern Munich`s sporting director Matthias Sammer admitted to German broadcaster ZDF it didn`t look good.
Dortmund went on to win the SuperCup for the second successive year, beating Bayern 2-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!