Juninho says reputation tainted by drug charges
Rio de Janeiro: Former Brazil international midfielder Juninho says he has had his name unfairly tainted after being cleared of drug charges by a Brazilian sports tribunal.
The Vasco da Gama free-kick specialist was found not guilty of breaching the World Anti-Doping Code by failing to provide a test sample directly after leaving the pitch during a match last month, reports from a news agency.
"I feel like I have been morally punished for having to come here and explain something I did not do," said the former star of French top-flight outfit Lyon.
"My reputation has been stained in France because it has been linked to doping, something that I have never done. It`s disappointing to have to explain to everybody what happened."
Juninho, capped 47 times for Brazil, was accused of violating the drug code after visiting his side`s changing room before providing a urine sample after Vasco`s away fixture to Ponte Preta Sep 23.
Vasco doctor Albino Pinto later explained the 37-year-old had returned to the rooms to pick up his bag to avoid being late for a connecting flight.
It was initially thought Juninho could receive a two-year ban, the maximum penalty for the charges.
Despite Juninho`s acquittal, Vasco was fined $1,500 for "failing to adhere to its legal obligation of complying with competition rules".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers