Kenya coach Bobby Williamson eyes Africa Nations Cup
Nairobi: For five years, he failed to get Uganda to the Africa Nations Cup, but it is a challenge that Scot Bobby Williamson is not ready to pass on.
Williamson said Friday his priority is to compete in the continent`s biggest football fiesta in 2017 as he takes over Kenya`s side Harambee Stars from September, reports Xinhua.
"It was my target and ultimate goal to take Uganda to the AFCON, but it was never to be. But with Kenya, I believe, we will be able to do it together," he said.
Williamson is in Kigali, with the Gor Mahia, the Kenyan Premier League Champions, in what he said will be his last assignment before taking over his new role as Kenya`s head coach, after the country football officials sacked the previous technical bench, which was headed by Algerian Adel Amrouche.
"My focus at the moment is on Gor Mahia. It is not my way to talk about two things at the same time. But with Kenya, it will be a long term plan.
"We have to execute it together and hopefully, get the team to the World Cup in Russia in 2018 or the Africa Nations Cup in 2017, " Williamson said.
Williamson will work alongside former international defender Musa Otieno as his assistant, while Simeon Mulama will be the team manager.
Kenya last featured at the African showpiece in 2014 when it was held in Tunisia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble