Kiev hold Rubin to 0-0 draw in snowy Kazan
London: Dynamo Kiev held Rubin Kazan to a 0-0 draw in a scrappy Champions League encounter, denting both teams` hopes of progressing from Group F.
Russian champions Rubin and their Ukrainian opponents had few clear chances in a game played in difficult conditions with snow falling on the city near the Volga River, 800 kms east of Moscow.
Rubin`s Argentine striker Alejandro Dominguez missed the best chance late in the first half when his overhead kick was saved by Dynamo goalkeeper Olexander Shovkovsky and Alexander Bukharov headed over the bar with a follow-up.
Both teams increased the tempo in the second half and the visitors had their best opportunity shortly after the re-start.
Dynamo midfielder Andriy Yarmolenko was sent clear on goal but shot straight at Rubin keeper Sergei Ryzhikov and Andriy Shevchenko then mishit the ball with the goal at his mercy.
Shevchenko and his strike partner Artem Milevskiy were held in check for most of the game and the former Chelsea forward was booked in the first half for a dangerous foul on Rubin fullback Cristian Ansaldi.
Rubin pushed forward late in the match in search of a victory that would have secured their passage into the knockout round if Inter Milan beat Barcelona in their match later on Tuesday.
However, Dynamo held on for a point despite missing two key defenders, Brazilian Leandro Almeida through suspension and Ukraine international Yevgen Khacheridi, who had a toe injury.
The draw put Rubin level with group leaders Inter on six points with Dynamo and European champions Barcelona a point behind.
"It was a tough game but I think the draw was a fair result. It still gives both teams a chance to qualify," Rubin coach Kurban Berdyev, whose team clinched their second consecutive league title on Saturday, told Russian television.
"We were a bit tight tonight with so much at stake, but we must be more aggressive in our last match against Inter."
Dynamo`s Russian coach Valery Gazzayev rued missed chances.
"I think we deserved to win so I feel very disappointed," said Gazzayev, whose team must now beat Barcelona in Kiev in their last group match to have a chance of reaching the knockout round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof