La Liga title still not out of grasp: Guardiola
Madrid: Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola insisted Sunday that his side`s shock 0-1 defeat away to Getafe does not mean that the Spanish football league title has been lost.
Barcelona`s first defeat of the season came as Juan Varela`s second half-header gave the only goal of the game to a Getafe side that managed just one shot on target, but defended well against a Barca unit that looked jaded after Wednesday`s 3-2 win in Milan.
Barca`s defeat, coupled with Real Madrid`s 4-1 thrashing of Atletico Madrid means that Real Madrid now lead the reigning champions by six points, and given that Madrid have dropped just five points all season, is a huge gap.
Guardiola, however, doesn`t believe it is definitive.
"There is still a long way to go in this league and we have to recover from the effort we have made. We worked very hard and well, but now we have to think about playing Rayo Vallecano and Levante before Real Madrid," Guardiola was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
"We created a lot of chances against a side that played six defenders and just one striker. We couldn`t open up the game and they scored from a corner. We tried right until the end and I have nothing to criticise my players for.”
"Getafe are a well trained side and they didn`t give anything away, but there is a long way to go yet and I don`t think that the league has escaped us yet. In the history of Barcelona, we have come from behind to beat Madrid on many occasions," he concluded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way