La Liga title still not out of grasp: Guardiola
Madrid: Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola insisted Sunday that his side`s shock 0-1 defeat away to Getafe does not mean that the Spanish football league title has been lost.
Barcelona`s first defeat of the season came as Juan Varela`s second half-header gave the only goal of the game to a Getafe side that managed just one shot on target, but defended well against a Barca unit that looked jaded after Wednesday`s 3-2 win in Milan.
Barca`s defeat, coupled with Real Madrid`s 4-1 thrashing of Atletico Madrid means that Real Madrid now lead the reigning champions by six points, and given that Madrid have dropped just five points all season, is a huge gap.
Guardiola, however, doesn`t believe it is definitive.
"There is still a long way to go in this league and we have to recover from the effort we have made. We worked very hard and well, but now we have to think about playing Rayo Vallecano and Levante before Real Madrid," Guardiola was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
"We created a lot of chances against a side that played six defenders and just one striker. We couldn`t open up the game and they scored from a corner. We tried right until the end and I have nothing to criticise my players for.”
"Getafe are a well trained side and they didn`t give anything away, but there is a long way to go yet and I don`t think that the league has escaped us yet. In the history of Barcelona, we have come from behind to beat Madrid on many occasions," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?