Lack of World Cup doping lab won`t affect testing: WADA
SOCHI: The absence of an accredited doping laboratory at the World Cup in Brazil in June will not affect drug testing, World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) president Craig Reedie said on Friday.
Samples taken at the World Cup will need to be flown across the Atlantic to Switzerland, raising doubts that positive tests from players will be discovered before their next matches.
"The rather disappointing situation is the new laboratory which is to be ready for the Olympic Games in 2016 I`m afraid will not be ready for the World Cup," said Reedie who is also an International Olympic Committee vice-president.
"That makes the job of (soccer`s ruling body) FIFA that little bit more complicated and I understand they`re going to take the samples to the Lausanne laboratory which is one of the really good ones," he told Reuters in an interview.
WADA said in August the Rio de Janeiro laboratory did not meet the International Standard for Laboratories (ISL).
Reedie, who took over the WADA presidency at the start of the year, quashed doubts that samples would not be tested in time in Brazil.
"FIFA can do it because in football there`s about a four or five-day gap between matches so the turnover of samples in Lausanne can be done quickly enough so that the process...will actually work," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video