Lampard believes AVB will have to take Spurs to ‘new level’
London: Chelsea star striker Frank Lampard believes former boss Andre Villas-Boas will have to take Tottenham Spurs to a new level as its new manager.
Lampard feels Spurs’ former manager Harry Redknapp lifted Spurs to an amazing level, after it had hit absolute rock bottom.
“AVB has inherited an exceptional squad of players. A squad that’s good enough to bring Champions League football and contend for the Premier League title. So AVB is a lucky man taking over at Spurs because the players are so very good,” a daily quoted Lampard, as saying.
“Admittedly that can be a double-edged sword, though. Because Harry Redknapp will be an extremely tough act to follow. Harry lifted Spurs to an amazing level. The way he turned that club around was remarkable. They were at absolute rock bottom when Harry came in,” he added.
Lampard, 34, said he expects Villas-Boas to be doubly keen to try and take revenge on his former club when the two teams meet in the new season.
But the Blues hero said he will be working just as hard to make sure Chelsea have the last laugh.
“Yes, AVB now being at Spurs will give those derby games even more of an edge. They are pretty edgy anyway but this will add even more. When I see him I’ll shake his hand and wish him all the best. But then I will try my best to beat him,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees