Last-gasp Sneijder sends Inter top
Rome: Dutch midfielder Wesley Sneijder scored in the dying moments to send Italian champions Inter Milan to the top of the Serie A on Saturday with a 2-1 win at Udinese.
Inter have 16 points, one ahead of Sampdoria and two in front of Juventus.
However, positions could switch on Sunday when Sampdoria welcome Parma while Juve travel to Palermo.
Victory on Saturday was a welcome boost for Jose Mourinho`s side who had lost 1-0 at Sampdoria last weekend before struggling to secure a 1-1 Champions League draw at Kazan in Russia in midweek.
"Sneijder`s goal was what the team deserved," said Mourinho.
"The team played well. We had lots of chances in the match especially since we had the injury to Diego Milito (replaced in the 25th minute) who is such an important player for us.”
"Tonight I am doubly happy because we have the three points and recovered from an error by the referee who should have awarded us a penalty. It was a victory of character."
Dejan Stankovic gave Inter a 22nd minute lead before Antonio Di Natale levelled five minutes later for his ninth goal of the season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord