Lennon determined to bolster Celtic squad
London: Celtic manager Neil Lennon says he is determined to bolster his squad during the January transfer window.
The Glasgow giants have already signed Icelandic striker Holmbert Fridjonsson on a pre-contract agreement and have been linked with a number of players including Sunderland and Scotland striker Steven Fletcher.
While refusing to comment on the names of his targets, the Hoops boss confirmed the club were actively looking to bring further additions in.
And Lennon says he hopes to have reinforcements in place by next week before the Scottish champions head off to Turkey for a short winter training camp following Sunday`s match with St Mirren.
"We will see how the weekend goes," Lennon said.
"We had a meeting this morning with chief executive Peter Lawwell and we are getting cracking on things, and hopefully we will have something maybe not by Monday but by next week.
"Names keep coming thick and fast but what we will do is do our business as quietly as we can.
"What we want to do is to sign players for the future -- for the second half of the season, and then obviously with the qualifiers in mind for next year.
"I want to make the squad better and give some of the players here a hand, and I think the squad needs an injection of fresh blood and that`s exactly what I have been trying to do.
"It doesn`t matter who you sign, if you think they are going to make you better then that`s what we will look to do. We are in a position to spend a bit of money and we haven`t been in a position as strong as this for quite a considerable time.
"We will endeavour to bring quality in and look for the future. That`s what I want to do and that`s where I want to take the club. It`s very difficult in the climate we are in and we have to sell at times to make ends meet. We have done that this season and we are looking to forge ahead."
Celtic will want to head into their two-week winter break with their unbeaten start to the season intact. The Hoops have yet to taste defeat after 19 games and haven`t conceded in their past seven domestic matches to open up a formidable 11 point lead at the top of the Scottish Premiership table.
Elsewhere on Sunday, Dundee United will want to end a run of three consecutive defeats when in-form Hibernian visit Tannadice while Kilmarnock, who have won three out of their past four matches, welcome third place Aberdeen to Rugby Park.
After their defeat to Hibs in Thursday`s Edinburgh derby, bottom club Hearts will look to end an eight match winless run against fellow strugglers Partick Thistle, who themselves haven`t won in 10 matches.
Fixtures (1500 unless otherwise stated)
Motherwell v Inverness CT (1245), Ross County v St Johnstone
St Mirren v Celtic (1245), Dundee United v Hibernian, Hearts v Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock v Aberdeen
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490